Friday, April 29, 2011

Discouragement and Inspiration

So I'm still struggling through my final finals (yay), but I've hit a snag that I just can't seem to get out of.  It's very discouraging.  Essentially, I've worked on something for a month with no progress.  The problem even has a teacher stumped, yet and still this project is due Tuesday.  I know art can be like that sometimes, but you can't afford problems like this when you're degree, or job or whatever depends on it.

Whenever I start feeling like throwing the computer at the wall and becoming an accountant, I'm reminded of something I heard on the Frank and Ollie DVD (if you're in animation and you haven't seen this, SHAME!  Buy it now ^^)  These fantastic animators, pioneers in their field, felt the same way I did.  You'd think someone who was as amazing at something as they were would just show up to work, do something awesome and fly home like the superheros they were.  That wasn't the case.  They said, in essence, every day they loved their job and every day they hated it.

How crazy is that?  Is it weird that this is so inspiring to me?


If they felt like that, then it's not strange for me to feel like that.

I love what I do, make no mistake about that.  I love, love, love, love LOVE what I do.  I may not know as much as other people but it's so fun learning new things and putting my own spin on it.  However, what I do is frustrating, draining and at times soul robbing.  It makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes.  Still, at the end of the day (or, you know, 3 am) when I pack up to leave, I have the strongest desire to come back the following morning and pour my heart into it again.

Either I'm a glutton for punishment, or I'm too in love with what I do to care.

 


~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment